The Power Of A 'But'




 

A Canaanite woman approached Jesus as He walked along the road. She implored Him as The Merciful Son of David to heal her daughter.  This woman was a gentile, an enemy of God’s people. She had no covenant. She had no right to ask anything of Jesus, but she had heard something about Jesus that made her approach Him.

Jesus did not say a word back to her. So normal was the distain of the Jewish people for her people that the disciples advised Jesus to send her away. She was a bother to them; no more than a fly that needed to be swatted away. 

Jesus, our kind and merciful Savior, then told this woman that He wasn’t sent for her but to the Israelites. He tells her He is not available to her, and still her response is to fall at his feet and beg Him to help her.  He then says, I am able to help you, but I won’t because it’s not right to take the children’s food and give it to dogs.

She knew who she was. She knew she wasn’t a Jew. She knew she wasn’t part of the blessed nation. She knew she was from a cursed people, but she knew Jesus was her Lord and Master! This woman agrees with Jesus, “Yes Lord that is true, but even the dogs get to eat the scraps under their master’s table.” 






Oh, the power of a ‘but’!           

The word ‘but’ can change everything.  This woman’s ‘but’ spoke volumes.



Her ‘but’ said, your disciples can discourage me, but I know who you are and I know you’re merciful.
                               
Her ‘but’ said, you can tell me you aren’t going to help me, but I’m going to humble myself before you shamelessly and ask again.

Her ‘but’ said, those other guys may be your favorites, but I know you have more than enough for me too.

Her ‘but said, you’re my Creator. You can call me a dog if you want to, but I’m your dog

Her ‘but’ said, you can tell me your gifts aren’t for me, but I’ll take the garbage.

Her ‘but’ said, I know just one crumb of your leftovers will give me all I need.


Her ‘but’ said, you can ignore me, but I’m going to keep on asking you for what only You can give me. 





Jesus said, Oh woman!!! Great-Mega-huge-colossal is your faith!! 

This woman didn’t know ten different ways to pray and all the principles of The Word of God.  She just trusted Jesus’ goodness. This woman didn’t stand on her good works, or her religious position. She didn’t even stand on God’s promises. She just knew only Jesus could help her.


Where there is desperation there are many reactions, distractions, and yes, truths to convince us that there is no answer. Sometimes we hear nothing from God but silence and sometimes we hear ‘no’.   A faithful “BUT” is always music to God's ears.  

But God, I know you love me. 
But God, I know you are Good. 
But God, I must continue to come to You. 
But God, only You can give me what I need.

That is Mega-Faith! 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For This Reason

Junk Food Is Poison!